Best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Mumbai
Best Knee Replacement Surgeon
What is Knee replacement surgery?
Knee-Replacement, Knee Arthroscopy, or Total knee replacement are the same procedure and are used interchangeably. Knee replacement is a surgical procedure to resurface damaged knees with metal caps and prosthetics. Knee replacement surgery is usually required for a knee damaged by arthritis or severe knee-joint injury.
According to our Knee replacement surgeon in Mumbai, Knee replacement surgery is a very common procedure, and several senior citizens are benefiting from it. It helps restore knee normality, enhances knee functioning, and instills a sense of self-dependency amongst knee replacement candidates.
How The Knee Replacements Helps Restore Knee Functionality?
The knee is a complex but tough joint, which bears the entire body’s weight. Due to age or other reasons, degeneration happens to the knee, leading to bone spurs or bone inflammation, due to which the joint becomes stiff and unable to move. The knee joint replacement replaces the joint completely or partially with the help of prosthetics, restoring knee functionality.
To understand the procedure better, here is a brief about anatomy that will help understand how knee joint replacement works:
Tibia- is a shin bone or larger bone or lower bone of the knee joint that connects the knee joint to the ankle.
Femur- is the thighbone or upper leg bone.
Patella- is the kneecap( front surface)
Meniscus- is curved cartilage in the knee -joint between femur and tibia bones that acts as a shock absorber and helps in gliding movements.
Cartilage- is soft cushioning tissue that covers and protects bone-surface at the joint. Cartilage also helps reduce friction and therefore perform joint movements.
A synovial membrane- is a thin sheath of tissue that lines the joint and encapsulates it in the joint socket. The synovial membrane secretes synovial fluid -a clear, sticky fluid that lubricates joints and helps in rotational movements.
Ligament- The ligament is a band of tough and elastic connective tissue that surrounds the joint and secures them firmly in position to support, enable or limit the joint’s movement.
Tendon- A type of tough connective tissue that connects muscles to bones and helps to control joint movements.
Types Of Knee-Replacement Surgery
There are two types of replacement surgeries, namely:
Total replacement surgery
In total knee replacement surgery, the complete joint capsule is removed and replaced with prosthetics that mimic origin knee joint functions.
Partial replacement surgery
Partial knee replacement surgery replaces only the damaged or inflamed knee-part with a customized prosthesis that enables smooth joint movement. Depending on the knee condition, the partial joint replacement is done to one of three parts, i.e., the medial part, the lateral part, or the patella of the knee.
Candidates unsatisfied with preliminary knee joint treatment or those who have no scope of recovery from conservative treatments are recommended knee replacement surgery. Dr. Ubale, one of the best knee replacement surgeons in Mumbai, recommends total or partial knee replacement to patients with inflammatory arthritis, significant joint stiffness, joint pain, and ligament damage.
Procedures: Types Of Knee Replacement Surgery
The knee replacement can be done in two ways: Manually or Computerized knee replacements.
Ideally, in Manual knee replacements, the following major steps are taken for partial or total knee replacement.
Partial knee replacement
- Firstly, the knee joint is sedated.
- Next, an incision is made, and the arthritic facet of the joint is accessed through special tools.
- Typically, the inflamed joints resist moving; therefore, part of the inflamed joint is cut, removed, and replaced with a prosthesis that allows the femur bone to glide smoothly on the tibia. Next, the component is screwed or joined with bone cement to fix in the joint.
- Finally, a set of motions is checked, and the incision is irrigated and closed with dissolvable sutures
Total Knee replacement
The knee- joint is completely replaced with a prothesis kee-ball capsule which is further attached and drilled into the femur and tibia.
The total knee arthroscopy proceeds in the following way:
- First, the joint is sedated, and 8- 10 inches or 3-5 inches ( through MISS surgery) long incision is made right on the knee joint to access the joint.
- Then, the patella is slightly stretched, and the joint is cut and removed. Then the femur or thighbone is cut and resurfaced, and the ball socket prosthesis is drilled or attached with bone cement.
- Next, the shin bone or tibia is prepared, resurfaced and a metal or plastic base is drilled into it, allowing the prosthesis to glide smoothly on it while forming a firm base for resting knee joint.
- Finally, the incision is checked for a range of motions, and the incision is closed.
Total knee surgery demands accurate diagnosis and replacement of knee-joint. Our knee replacement surgeon in Mumbai uses computerized knee-replacement technology for securing accurate and best possible results of knee arthroscopy.
Here is complete detail about Computerized Navigation Knee Replacement.
Computerized Navigation Knee Replacement
Computer navigation uses infrared technology to obtain accurate 3-D visuals of the knee- alignment w.r.t body and guide the surgeon to insert equipment, cut bone, position implants or prothesis, check alignment, balance ligaments, and check motions correctly.
The Computerized knee replacement is preferably more accurate and offers the following benefits:
- Accuracy of the procedure with no scope for human errors
- Perfect implant placement and alignment balancing
- Ensuring implant longevity
- Minimizes blood loss, pain, or corpuscular blockages
- Faster recovery and better performance of a range of motions
- It can be performed on patients with previous joint implants or plate or screws present in bones, a severe knee injury to joint, previous High tibial osteotomy (HTO), or overweight patients having knee joint problems.
How Does Computerized knee replacement work?
In computer navigation knee replacement surgery, the surgeon uses trackers and markers to mark bony projections in the body, distance of hip-to-knee, and other bony details that are not highlighted or visible. Then, in concurrence with real-time 3-D visuals obtained on the computer screen, the surgeon makes a precisional incision, cut bone/ cartilage, places prosthesis in positions accurately, match their placement in correct degrees, and finally check for prosthesis body-to-joint balanced alignment.
The Computerized total knee replacement surgery gives accurate results, with better joint adhesion and joint longevity.
Rehabilitation or Recovery After Knee Replacement Surgery
- Typically, the surgeon will provide you with pain relievers and medications for pain management.
- The surgeon will advise you to wear a leg-joint compression hose to help blood circulate smoothly in the legs.
- The surgeon encourages you to perform ankle and foot motions to regulate blood circulation.
- You will be able to walk with a walker for a week.
- You will be able to walk slowly from the following week
- In one month, you can resume your day-to-day activities and say hello to a better life.
Benefits Of Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery has been beneficial to many patients to date; most patients being senior citizens, who faced knee-joint problems, are happy with knee replacement surgery results. Some of the weel reckoned benefits include:
- Increased knee-joint mobility
- Better life quality
- Self-dependence or independence
- A huge help to obese or arthritis patient
- An active life
Why Choose Dr. Tushar Ubale For Knee Replacement Surgery?
Dr. Tushar Ubale is a highly qualified orthopedic specialist and one of the best knee replacement surgeons in Mumbai. He believes in adept treatment stats with an accurate diagnosis. Hence he devises teh best diagnostic tools and recommends adept diagnostic tests for investigating the orthopedic disorder. To add further, he and his team use the latest computerized knee replacement surgery to ensure highly accurate and long-lasting results. So, consult us to discuss your arthritic knee.
Frequently Asked Questions
The final cost of a knee replacement surgery in Mumbai is decided during the time of consultation, which differs for every individual depending on the following factors:
- Method of the surgery
- The severity of the condition
- Types of Implants
- Hospital stay
- Preoperative tests and follow-ups
However, the approximate cost of knee replacement surgery in Mumbai lies somewhere between Rs.1,50,000 to Rs. 3,00,000 for a single knee.
Make Appointment and take care of Your healthy life