Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery in Mumbai
Minimally Invasive Spine
Surgery in Mumbai
What Is Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery?
Minimally invasive spine surgery is an alternative approach to traditional open surgery that prevents blood loss, tissue, or muscle damage and leads to faster recovery. It uses advanced tools such as a surgical microscope, endoscope, or fluoroscope to see internal images of the surgical site and carry surgery in concurrence to virtual monitoring. MISS spine surgery treats several spinal disorders such as degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, scoliosis, and spinal stenosis.
How Is It Different From Traditional Surgery?
In tradational surgery, a large cut and open incision are made. Then, muscles and tissues are pulled out to expose and see the damaged part and surgery on it. Finally, when the surgery is done, the incision is closed with sutures. Unfortunately, this traditional approach leads to greater blood loss, muscle and tissue damage, Increasing post-surgery recovery time.
In contrast to open surgery, MISS surgery requires smaller slits in the skin to insert an endoscope to better view the internal surgical site. Through the small 1/2 inch incision, the surgeon inserts a precisional tool from the front, back, or oblique to the spine, and does the surgery. The entire surgery leads to less tissue and muscle removal, and thus the recovery is faster.
What Is The Scope Of MISS Surgery?
Minimally invasive spine surgery in Mumbai is the latest surgical technique. Most Best spine surgeon in mumbai or India prefer MISS surgery because it has many benefits; for example- it is more accurate, takes less recovery time, and leads to less pain. Therefore, the scope for MISS spine surgery is very significant in the future.
Benefits Of MISS Spine Surgery
MISS spine surgery has several benefits. The benefits can be enumerated as:
- Lesser Anaesthesia and Surgical time
- Lesser blood loss during surgery
- Less muscular or tissue damage
- Reduced infection risk
- Less pain in contrast to open surgery
- The incision scars are smaller hence less psychologically impactful
- A shorter hospital stay also leads to a lesser financial burden.
- Shorter recovery time.
- Quicker return to daily activities, including work.
Types Of Spine Surgeries Done With MISS Procedure
MISS spine surgery is done in the following cases:
- Spinal fusion for “slipped disks.”
- Spine deformity correction, required in cases of Kyphosis and Scoliosis
- Decompression surgery
- Stabilisation of spinal fractures. Reconstruction for osteoporotic Vertebral compression fractures. ( Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty)
- Spinal stenosis MISS surgery
- Miss Surgery to treat spinal Infection ( Due to spine TB or Puss formation)
Names of MISS Spine surgery procedures are as follows:
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion.
- Cervical Foraminotomy.
- Endoscopic Spine Surgery.
- Interspinous Decompression.
- MIS Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion.
- MIS Lumbar Fusion.
- MIS Transforaminal or Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF)
Who is not a candidate for MISS Spine Surgery?
The MISS spine surgery is not for everyone. Your doctor will thoroughly study your case based on detailed diagnostic tests and recommend the right surgery for you. Again, though MISS spine surgery is considered very safe, it may not be for specific patients.
The MISS surgery is a detailed pre-planned surgery based on diagnostic tests. The spine specialist in Mumbai will first recommend screening tests like X-rays, MRI and CT scans to analyze spine crosssections and segments in detail and then prepare a tailored surgery plan.
The MISS surgeries can be done to rectify several spinal disorders (refer to above disorders) and involves a surgical microscope and endoscope to see better and gauge the internal environment and perform a precisional surgery.
Some common steps taken in the procedure include:
- First, the patient is given appropriate anesthesia.
- Then a small half to three inches incision is made-endoscope and small rod called a retractor is inse
- The retractors, create a tunnel-like passage to insert surgical tools for surgery and lift the bones, widen space between them, or withdraw them if needed. The surgeon monitors the internal site through fluoroscope, microscope, or endoscope and does surgery accordingly.
- Once the surgery whether fusion, vertebroplasty, or any other kind of MISS surgery completes, the tools( retractor, surgical tools, and endoscope) are withdrawn and muscle and tissues automatically come into place.
- Finally, the incision is irrigated to eliminate infection risk and sutures are closed.
Like in every case, MISS surgeries too run some infection, bleeding, and surgery failure risks. The patients must visit their concerned specialty doctors for follow-up appointments to avoid such risks.
Why Choose Dr. Tushar Ubale For Spine Surgery In Mumbai?
OrthoCare, headed by one of the Best spine surgeon in mumbai , Dr. Tushar Ubale, is equipped with state-of-art facilities to provide patients best spine treatments. Dr. Ubale gives personal attention to individual case studies and according to plan a customized treatment that would give an effective and long-lasting result to the patient. So, if you seek spine treatment in Mumbai, seek from our specialist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Minimally invasive spine surgery is a type of spine surgery that uses small incisions and specialized instruments to access the spinal column. This minimizes the risk of damage to surrounding tissue, which can help with recovery. Two major types of minimally invasive spine surgeries are discussed below:
Laminectomy: A laminectomy is a surgery to remove part of the vertebrae, which is typically done to relieve pressure on a spinal cord or nerve. A laminectomy may also be performed when a tumour is pressing on the spinal cord or nerve.
Discectomy: A discectomy is a surgical procedure that removes the portion of slipped or herniated intervertebral disc that has been compressing the spinal cord and nerve roots causing symptoms such as pain, numbness, or weakness.
A spine doctor in Mumbai treats the following conditions using minimally invasive spine surgery:
- Herniated disc
- Spinal tumours
- Spine deformities such as scoliosis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Vertebral compression fractures
Dr. Tushar Ubale is the best spine specialist in Mumbai.
Make Appointment and take care of Your healthy life